vendredi 24 janvier 2014

BLOWING AWAY SOME FIRE AT PPS-29: Trouble with Polymer Physics.



Professor Manfred H. Wagner of the University of Berlin is known for his mathematical skills in polymer rheology and for his gentle handling of speakers as the Chairman of sessions at conferences: a gentleman in pure German style.

So, I was pleased to know that he had been designated the Chairman for my session on rheology at the latest Polymer Processing International Conference, PPS-29, which was held in Nuremberg last July. Yet, I was the keynote speaker to address the delegates with the following burning title:

TROUBLE WITH POLYMER PHYSICS: “SUSTAINED-ORIENTATION”
Ground breaking experimental research shakes the current understanding of the liquid state of polymers

Needless to say, I was uncertain whether such a title would survive any German gentlemenship, and the sign of anxiety grew over my face as the conference crowd started to fill up the room dedicated to the rheology session, as my title was now in full view as big as a Hollywood advertising posterboard, waiting for the Chairman to introduce me.

I tried to catch Prof. Wagner's eye to find a smile or any sign of encouragement, but Nein, not a sign of anything in that direction.  I was there alone, with my guts starting to gasp for air, when suddenly I noticed the black bag of Prof. Wagner on the Chairman's desk, a bag which looked identical to mine, standing at my feet, which said "AERC 2007"  with the round familiar logo of a well known thermal analysis instrument company below the inscription.  I had been carrying around the same bag since 2007!

"Wagner is a twin brother, a cool guy", I realized instantly!  And this made me relax, my guts stopped gasping and I faced the audience with a thankful look for the honor of their presence.

Yes, I had something important to say, and I was ready to say it. Thanks, Professor Manfred Wagner for bringing your AERC bag all the way from Naples!

Here is a video clip lecture of that keynote presentation. You can watch it on YouTube:


 or you can download it and watch it while eating popcorn at home, on a big screen, eh, Warum Nicht?



URTE BERRI ON !


Note: the small symbol you see besides VCL#1 at the bottom of the first slide is the Basque Cross, the "lau buru", which I use to represent the Cross-Dual-Phase model!