lundi 4 juin 2012

The Great Myths of Polymer Melt Rheology, Part III: Elasticity of the Network of Entanglements



              Network of Phase-Lines fluctuating with frequency w'
(to see the activation of the phase-lines see my blog of January 2012)

At the end of “the Great Myths of Polymer Melt Rheology, Part I: Comparison of Experiments and Current Theory” ( http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/00222340903275529)
I wrote:

 “The Rouse’s or reptation models (de Gennes, Doi-Edwards), based on such a spectrum of relaxation times, are probably not describing at all the basic deformation process giving rise to viscoelastic effects (shear-thinning, normal stresses, extensional flow and the numerous other phenomena observed in non-linear deformation) at very high shear rate, or at high amplitude of strain, causing melt yielding, melt fracture and astonishing memory effects. The models’ shortcoming is probably deeply rooted in the misunderstanding of the concept of chain entanglement, and of the entropy of the melt deformation process.

Like my grandmother used to tell: “don’t criticize unless you have something else to say, and only say it when it is clear to you”.

The Great Myths of Rheology, Part III (accepted for publication in 2012) is the proof that I listened to my grandmother. I waited to publish until it became clear to me that the new views on polymer entropy of deformation and on entanglement could address all the issues of viscoelasticity.

Of course, like a painting which is never going to be finished, I still have work to do... Yet, here it is, ready for discussion.